I'm pretty sure that nothing I say could make you want these cookies more than this picture does.
So why even try?
All you have to know is this: the cookies here are darkly chocolatey, and relatively soft and chewy. A minute or two more, though, could take them to crunchy - if that's your thing. And that dulce de leche filling? Imagine caramel that you've cooked for a minute or two extra. Golden, gooey, sticky, and sweet with just a hint of bitterness underneath.
Go for it. In fact, go for all 12 of these recipes. It's been great sharing with you this holiday season - can't wait to do it again next year. Happy holidays!
Dulce de Leche Sandwich Cookies
from Martha Stewart Living
Flour [ 3/4 cup ]
Unsweetened Dutch-Process Cocoa Powder [ 1/4 ]
Coarse Salt [ 3/4 teaspoon ]
Baking Powder [ 1/4 teaspoon ]
Unsalted Butter [ 2 tablespoons, at room temperature ]
Sugar [ 1/4 cup ]
Light Brown Sugar [ packed, 1/4 cup ]
Egg [ 1 ]
Egg Yolk [ 1 ]
Semisweet Chocolate [ 4 ounces, melted and cooled ]
Vanilla Extract [ 1/2 teaspoon ]
Dulce de Leche [ 1/2 cup ]
1. Whisk together Flour, Cocoa Powder, Salt, and Baking Powder. Set aside.
2. In the bowl of a mixer at Medium speed, beat Butter, Sugar, and Brown Sugar until mixture is light-colored
3. Mix in Egg, Egg Yolk, Chocolate, and Vanilla Extract.
4. Reduce speed to Low and add Flour Mixture. Mix just until no streaks remain.
5. Shape Dough into a ball. Flatten into a disk, wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
6. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
7. Dust counter with flour.
8. Roll Dough out to a thickness of 1/8 inch.
9. Cut cookies out with a 2-inch round cutter.
10. Place cookies on prepared cookie sheets, spacing them at least 1 inch apart.
11. Use a tiny cutter to cut the center out of half of the cookies.
11. Re-roll dough from cut-out centers and repeat preceding steps.
12. Heat oven to 375 degrees.
13. Refrigerate cookies on sheets 30 minutes.
14. Bake Cookies until set. This will take 7-9 minutes.
15. Remove cookies from sheets and cool on baking racks.
16. When cool, sandwich Cookies with 1 teaspoon Dulce de Leche.
Makes about 18 cookies.