These bars are big fat liars.
You think they're going to be all "Hawaiian Christmas Luau Spectacular." Assuming that's even a thing.
If it wasn't before, it is now. The internet is magical that way.
They're all full of coconut and macadamia nuts, with cranberries for extra chew and sweetness and tartness and holiday redness and all the other things that cranberries do.
But then you bite into one, and your mouth says...ORANGE.
Which is not at all what you were anticipating.
Not a good way to start the holiday season, Cookies. He sees you when you're sleeping, he knows when you're awake. And he knows when you misrepresent yourself with a title that leaves our your most prominent flavor.
Lucky for you, you're delicious. I'll put in a good word for you with the big guy.
Cranberry Macadamia Bars
from Land O'Lakes
Flour [ 2/3 cup ]
Unsalted Butter [ 1/3 cup ]
Sugar [ 2 tablespoons ]
Sweetened Flaked Coconut [ 1/2 cup ]
Macadamia Nuts [ 2/3 cup, coarsely chopped ]
Sweetened Dried Cranberries [ 1/2 cup ]
Sugar [ 1/3 cup ]
Eggs [ 2, slightly beaten ]
Vanilla [ 1 teaspoon ]
Baking Powder [ 1/2 teaspoon ]
Salt [ 1/4 teaspoon ]
Powdered Sugar [ 1 cup ]
Freshly-Grated Orange Peel [ 1 teaspoon ]
Orange Juice [ 2-3 tablespoons ]
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In the bowl of a mixer, combine Flour, Unsalted Butter, and Sugar.
3. Beat at Low speed until crust mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
4. Press Mixture into the bottom of an 8-inch square ungreased baking pan.
5. Bake until barely browned [ about 15 minutes ].
6. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, stir together Coconut, Macadamia Nuts, Dried Cranberries,
Sugar, Eggs, Vanilla, Baking Powder, and Salt.
7. Immediately after removing Crust from the oven, spread Filling over it.
8. Return to oven until Topping is golden brown [about 22-27 minutes ]
9. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, Combine Powdered Sugar, Orange Peel, and enough Orange Juice to
bring mixture to a glazing consistency.
10. Immediately after removing Bars from oven, drizzle Bars with Glaze.
11. Allow to cool completely before cutting.
Makes 1 8x8-inch pan [ about 16-25 bars ]
Like a Little Orange with your Cranberries?
|Orange Cranberry Slices|